World Cities Summit
The biennial World Cities Summit (WCS) is an exclusive platform for government leaders and industry experts to address liveable and sustainable city challenges, share integrated urban solutions and forge new partnerships. Jointly organised by Singapore’s Centre for Liveable Cities (CLC) and the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA), key highlights of the Summit include the WCS Mayors Forum, the Lee Kuan Yew World City Prize and the WCS Young Leaders Symposium.
The next edition of the World Cities Summit will be held from 5–9 July 2020 in Singapore.
The WCS is anchored by the following events:
- Lee Kuan Yew World City Prize Lecture & Forum – Inaugurated in 2010 and named after Singapore’s first Prime Minister, the Lee Kuan Yew World City Prize is a biennial international award that honours outstanding achievements and contributions to the creation of liveable and sustainable urban communities around the world. The lecture and forum discussions will focus on four key pillars of every city’s success: liveability, vibrancy, sustainability and quality of life.
- World Cities Summit Mayors Forum – An exclusive by-invitation-only annual event, the WCS Mayors Forum is a global platform for mayors and city leaders to discuss pressing urban challenges and share best practices. The peer-to-peer platform enables mayors and leaders from international organisations and the industry to exchange experiences in developing integrated urban solutions, building economic and environmental resilience, engaging with communities and sustaining a high quality of life in urban areas.
- World Cities Summit Smart Cities Workshop - The inaugural WCS Smart Cities Workshop will be held as part of the World Cities Summit 2020 on 5th July 2020 at the Marina Bay Sands Convention Centre. Cities are invited to send teams of up to three (one CTO or equivalent rep and two technical experts) to participate in an intensive half day programme with exclusive talks, private consultation sessions with experts and networking opportunities. At the heart of the WCS Smart Cities Workshop is a series of half-hour ‘clinics’. In these clinics, each smart city team will be match-made with different smart city solution providers or funders. Together, they will brainstorm potential funding and technology solutions for their projects. WCS partners who have expressed interest to participate include Mastercard, Dassault Systemes, ST Engineering, PwC, EY, World Bank, and many more.
- World Cities Summit Young Leaders Symposium – The Symposium is an annual gathering of WCS Young Leaders, a group of changemakers from diverse sectors who shape the global urban agenda. These passionate leaders discuss ways to tackle challenges such as planning for urbanisation and making cities more inclusive by creating better access to opportunities like affordable housing, sustainable transportation, accessible education and meaningful employment.
- Plenaries – A series of high-level plenaries provide strategic insights by senior leaders from cities, governments, international organisations and industry sectors on cross-disciplinary policies, management strategies and solutions.
- Thematic Tracks – Plenary sessions are complemented by four concurrent thematic tracks for in-depth discussions on specific issues related to Urban Governance, Planning, Resilience and Innovation. Case studies and best practices are shared by city leaders and practitioners who have led successful projects.
- Co-Located Events – Organised by our partner organisations, the co-located events complement the main programme of the WCS. Each session deep-dives into specific topics related to liveable and sustainable cities.
- Site visits – Specially designed half-day tours offer World Cities Summit participants first-hand perspectives on how policies and ideas can be implemented successfully. Hosted by diverse public sector agencies in Singapore, each site visit is a unique learning experience that provides a behind-the-scenes look at real issues.
- City Solutions Singapore – As the preferred global platform for over 1,000 companies to showcase new and cutting-edge solutions for smart nations and urban environments, City Solutions Singapore (CSS) provides the catalyst for new partnerships and business opportunities across the sustainable development value chain.
The WCS is held in conjunction with the Singapore International Water Week and the CleanEnviro Summit Singapore:
- Singapore International Water Week – The biennial Singapore International Water Week (SIWW) is the global platform for stakeholders from the water industry to share best practices and co-create innovative solutions. Participants showcase the latest technologies and tap business opportunities. SIWW is part of the Singapore Government’s strategic programme to develop water technologies and grow the industry. For more information, visit www.siww.com.sg.
- CleanEnviro Summit Singapore – Organised by Singapore’s National Environment Agency, the biennial CleanEnviro Summit Singapore (CESG) is a global platform for government and industry leaders to identify, develop and share practical, replicable and scalable solutions to address environmental challenges in the context of the waste-water-energy nexus in growing cities. For more information, visit www.cleanenvirosummit.sg.